Friday, April 27, 2007

SitStayFetch: Consultation With Mark


Hi Daniel,

Being a cat lover I had never imagined that I would have dogs once I bought and shifted into my own home. However my new neighbor introduced me to her delightful little Bichon Frise and ever since I have been captivated by it.

I have read up on the breed and spoken to breeders and I think one of these little dogs would be perfect for me, even though I know that their onerous grooming and bathing requirements may have a detrimental effect on my bachelorhood!

While I tend to spend most of my free time either around the house or doing things where a dog can accompany me, I do work full time. I will be able to get quite a lot of time off to spend the first few months getting a new dog used to being by itself, hopefully even to the extent of being able to work from home.

So I suppose my questions are:- will the puppy be happy on its own during the day?- would it be better to get two puppies from the same litter, so that they can keep each other company?- If the answer to the second question is yes, then which sexes should I choose?- Is it possible to train puppies to do their business in the doggy equivalent of a cat litter tray?

I would be grateful for any advice as I only want to get a puppy if I can provide for all of its needs.

Cheers,
Mark.
--------------------------------------------------------
SitStayFetch Reply:

Hi Mark,

First and foremost- you are to be congratulated on your attitude to dog ownership! The fact that you are taking so much trouble to find out what is best for your new dog suggests that you will make an excellent owner, and your puppy will have landed on its paws when it joins your household!

Obviously working full time is not ideal when owning a dog, but it is not an impossible situation and, provided that you make good use of the time that you are at home and provide the dog with adequate social, mental and physical stimulation, you should be able to avoid any major problems.

Taking time off from work when your puppy arrives is to be recommended but during those first few weeks it is important to start as you mean to go on and ensure that your new family member does not have constant company as he may come to rely upon it.

Gradually increase the time that he is left alone, and ensure that he is safe and secure when you are not there; the use of an indoor pen is certainly to be recommended at this stage. A pen will also help in house training, if you are able to devote your full attention to this process and ensure that your puppy is able to go outside when he needs to go to the toilet. You will be pleasantly surprised by how quick it can be. Check out the bonus Housetraining mini ebook for plenty of tips and tricks to make sure that it is a success.

If you need to go back to work while your puppy is still very young, try to get someone to let him out to relieve himself during the day rather than allow him to form new associations with an indoor latrine! If you do not have any family or friends who can do this then you may wish to hire a pet-sitter for the short-term.

Regarding your query about getting 2 puppies, I would recommend that start with one. Getting littermates is always something that people find appealing but it often ends in tears. Two puppys who spend a lot of time together will communicate more effectively with each other than their owners, often making training difficult. Also siblings can be very closely matched in terms of size and strength, which can also lead to problems.

I hope this helps and good luck! If you don't understand anything that I have said please email me for clarification.

Click here to learn more.

Kind regards,

Daniel Stevens and the SitStayFetch Team

Click here to learn the truth about Dog Food Secrets.

No comments: